“When baking, follow directions. When cooking, go by your own taste.”
Did you know that baking and cooking are tremendously different? I didn’t realize this until a few years ago and, even then, had to learn it the hard way. Now I know: I am a cook, not a baker.
Although I consider myself a pretty good cook, I merely aspire to be a baker. This is not to say that I don’t like dessert because I do like it oh-so-much. My hubby has a huge sweet tooth so this past Christmas I gave him “Dessert of the Month” coupons. Each month, he selects the dessert he wants me to make and then I attempt it. He really isn’t choosing difficult things, but it’s amazing how I can really mess up the simple stuff!
This past weekend was a success! For his dessert this month, my husband chose Rice Krispie Treats. Simple and classic, they were delicious! They were so good that I made FOUR BATCHES! I froze 2 batches so we can spontaneously enjoy them another day.
How to freeze Rice Krispie Treats:
1. Allow the treats to cool completely.
2. Cut into squares and wrap them individually in plastic wrap OR leave in a large block and wrap the entire thing in plastic wrap. Be sure to get it as airtight as possible!
3. Slip the wrapped treats into a zip-top freezer bag. Zip it
4. Label the bag with the name of your treats and the date it goes in the freezer.
5. To defrost, simply let them sit at room temperature for a few hours.
Mike’s “Dessert of the Month” for the first half of the year:
• January: Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars
• February: Ice Cream Cake
• March: Boston Cream Pie
• April: Oreo Truffles
• May: Lime Bars
• June: Rice Krispie Treats
Stay tuned – I’m going to share a few never-fail desserts that I have mastered and hope that you will soon!
Originally published 6/7/10