Saturday, August 21, 2010

It All Started With A Purple Bean...

I had the luxury of starting my Saturday morning at the Granville Farmer’s Market. Anna and I strolled through the vendors to find a real treasure! We met Anton from Terra Vita Farms and he introduced us to the Red Swan…a gorgeous red-purple hued bean that instantly caught my eye and drew me in. I love the contrast it provides against the green and yellow beans; and I was really excited to see that gorgeous green center when I cut it open.


Anton explained that the red exterior would turn green when cooked, so I knew that a raw bean salad would be my plan.

Inspired by the handful of colorful beans from Terra Vita Farms and some small yellow tomatoes from another vendor, I started to work on a vinaigrette to dress the salad. I worked with several ideas while creating this recipe and ultimately decided on tarragon for the herb. I think that basil or parsley would be nice alternatives.


Terra Vita Bean Salad

Ingredients:
2 cups green beans, chopped in 1” pieces
1 cup small yellow tomatoes, halved
3 T red onions, julienned in 1” pieces
4 T olive oil
3 T red wine vinegar
1 T lemon juice
1 t Dijon mustard
1 t dried tarragon
Kosher salt & black pepper, to taste

Directions:
Mix the vegetables in a large bowl and set aside. In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, red wine vinegar, lemon juice, Dijon, tarragon, salt and pepper. Taste the dressing an adjust seasoning. Pour the dressing over the vegetables and toss lightly to distribute. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour and up to 1 day prior to serving.

Serves 4


The bean salad was crisp, earthy, and fresh. I enjoyed it even more because I had a chance to talk to the person who grew those vegetables for my family. Eating locally tastes better every time!

Here is a sweet picture of Anna, checking out our loot from the farmer’s market.




Originally published August 14, 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment