Sunday, August 22, 2010

Try It, You’ll Like It (Big Flavors for Little Palates)

Anna’s Food at 7 Months


Anna is busy exploring some chunkier textures in her food and even trying to get those pesky little Cheerios into her mouth. So cute!


Here is what a typical day looks like for Anna this summer:

Breakfast: Oatmeal, oatmeal, oatmeal! We eat a lot of oatmeal in this house, we really do. I usually serve about 1/3 cup of oatmeal with a sprinkle of cinnamon or freshly grated nutmeg. Sometimes I add a couple tablespoons of applesauce (all natural, no added sugar) or minced banana for variety. I haven’t been cooking the oatmeal, but rather just letting the milk soak into the oats.

In this picture, Anna is feeding herself some Cream of Wheat. I make a batch of the cereal (or use some leftovers), pour it into a shallow container, and refrigerate. When it is time to serve, I simply cut it into ¼” cubes, warm it slightly, and serve.
Lunch: I can’t resist sharing fresh, local summer fruit with Anna. Branstool Peaches are at the peak of freshness, so there isn’t a good reason not to eat many each day! We have the amazing opportunity of eating peaches at lunchtime that were harvested that morning. I usually cut and peel the peach, then dice it into tiny pieces. Most days I also mix in one plum that has been prepared in the same way. She loves it!

Dinner: Vegetables are usually the focus of our dinners. Anna can eat most vegetables now, but we tend to eat a lot of sweet potatoes, peas, zucchini, yellow squash, acorn squash, butternut squash (oh yes, we love our squash too!), carrots, broccoli, and potatoes. I try to incorporate veggies from our main dinner into Anna’s meal as much as possible. Brown rice often makes an appearance with the veggies; although she likes the flavor, I think she gets frustrated when the grains get stuck in her gums so I try to make it creamy by giving it a quick puree in my Magic Bullet.

Drinking: The sippy cup still feels a little forced, but she likes to sip water from a small, open cup. I am grateful that she is still nursing well and plan to continue until she is one year old.

No comments:

Post a Comment